Stephen is a narrative painter: he tells stories by visual means. Ancient myths and tales are re-imagined in the everyday world. Strong lines and bold composition characterise the paintings.
Coram Cottage, Ampleforth YO62 4DX
Studio on ground floor of Coram Cottage next to shop in Main Street in centre of village and opposite White Swan pub.
Two sets of stone steps up to cottage door and steps in garden. Low ceilings, beams and doorways inside.
- Display of paintings, drawings, editioned prints
- The display will focus on recent paintings including some examples from the touring Genesis exhibition.
- There is an archive of sketchbooks and drawings with examples stretching back 30yrs
- Affordable cards and reproductions and copies of a recently published catalogue on SG Bird’s Genesis series
- Other paintings are based on different narrative cycles and image sequences – contemporary reworkings of Ovid’s Metamorphosis, Dante’s Commedia, traditional tales and nursery rhymes, many in a familiar North Yorkshire setting. There will be accompanying texts to guide the viewer through the imagery.
- The whole cottage is a working environment, with a dedicated studio space. The entire ground floor will be open. Walls and items of furniture are also painted with narrative scenes.
- The garden will be open with an outdoor studio space with sculptures and constructions.
- The cottage was built in the 18th century and is of historic interest. The cottage is situated in a central position on the main street in the old part of the village, which is in the North York Moors National Park.
- Tea, coffee and cake will be offered to visitors
- Ampleforth Village has two pubs, and an independent café, there is a church dating back to the 12th Century. The ruins of Byland Abbey are two and half miles to the west one mile to the east is Ampleforth Abbey with a tea room, orchards, and visitor centre. There are also dedicated walks through the Abbey nature reserve to the Ampleforth lakes.
- Reflections on monastic life and tradition are one of themes explored in the artwork. The paintings through the reworking of ancient myths also explore the cultural and social complexities and tensions of rural life.
- There will be a preview for invited guests